Sunday, July 3, 2016

Social Identity

Michuuu
Got to see Pablo in
Madrid!!
Coming into this trip four weeks ago, I had nothing figured out. I was planning on doing research, and looking up where to go, but I was relaxing after my semester of school when it suddenly dawned on me I was about to leave. According to me though, I knew Spain. My brother had told me a bit and I had heard more from Spanish friends I had made during their time at UTA doing study abroad programs.

Well, I got to Valencia, and I realized I didn't know anything about anything. The advice I had gotten was good, but being there in the moment it didn't make a difference. We were completely lost, and we didn't even have WiFi (this is where you gasp in horror). New country, new setting, same old me.
The next part is all about how I was completely lost and didn't understand the language they speak, and missed home dearly, etc. etc. That's not the truth though. I've been adapting to these kind of situations ever since I was small, moving from Honduras to Arkansas when I was 6 years old, moving from Arkansas to Miami a couple of years later, from Miami back to Honduras, then Honduras to Paris, Texas, and finally, from Paris to Arlington. Except, that's not where it ends. Now I'm getting used to Valencia. This one has been particularly fun. Oh, and this past weekend, a completely different one: from Valencia to Granada.

So my roommates couldn't travel with me to Granada. I was set on going, no matter what, so I booked a Bla Bla car and decided I would stay at a hostel (I haven't told my mom this... surprise). I have heard different things about hostels, but one thing that is consistent is that you meet people easily. This hostel was no exception. Within five minutes, I had left all my belongings at my bed, and gone up to the terrace to see a group of about ten people, most of which didn't know one another, just talking about where they're from, where they've visited, and where they're going. I met an American and an Australian that I met up again with at the Alhambra, and had a couple of other adventures with. I also met two French sisters, who ended up being the people I hung out with for most of the weekend. They barely spoke English, and I could barely even understand their French, but we got along well and we had the same goals in mind, seeing some flamenco. We accomplished it the second day and it was definitely one of the better things I've done here in Spain. In the end, this Granada experience has been the most different from what I've experienced in my entire life. I have never traveled alone, I've always had my family or friends, and even here in Spain I've always been with my roommates. I would do it again if I had to, but I feel traveling is best with someone you care about. My grandfather has told us that it's not about the journey, but about the people you meet getting there. And it's so true. The thing I miss the most about the places I've been is the people.
Shoutout to my gramps and
whole fam, miss them.
My parents are currently living
it up in Honduras.
(happy bday dad)















  Here's some Granada pics too!
View of Albayzin from La Alhambra
View from hostel terrace
Beginning of flamenco show
Me and the Sierra Nevada
Chilling by the Genil River
High garden at Generalife
Okay, so let's take this back to social identity. My view of the world isn't really about how different they are from us, or how better the United States is because they have stores that are open 24/7 (although I can say that would come in so handy here). I just appreciate how different cultures have different customs, and that's that. All that's left is for you to get used to it, or make an entire country get used to your ways... Yeah, no.


No comments:

Post a Comment